Friday, November 21, 2014

Jonah & the Savior


Perhaps in Jonah 2, we have insight into the sufferings of the Savior. The waters of the wrath of God encompassed Him as His soul was made an offering for sin (see Isa. 53:10). A crown of thorns was wrapped around His head as He took upon Himself the Genesis curse. Jesus Himself said that He went into the heart of the earth (Matt. 12:40), into the pit of death.

But death could not hold Him; God spoke to death and brought Jesus’ soul up from the grave (v. 10; see also Acts 2:24).
Jonah 2:2 And he said: I cried out to the Lord because of my affliction, And He answered me. Out of the belly of Sheol I cried,And You heard my voice.3 For You cast me into the deep, Into the heart of the seas, And the floods surrounded me; All Your billows and Your waves passed over me.4 Then I said, I have been cast out of Your sight; Yet I will look again toward Your holy temple.5 The waters surrounded me, even to my soul; The deep closed around me; Weeds were wrapped around my head.6 I went down to the moorings of the mountains; The earth with its bars closed behind me forever; Yet You have brought up my life from the pit, O Lord, my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RULES OF THE ROAD:

1)The Names and Titles of God our Father and Jesus Christ our Savior will be respected at all times.
2) Discussion is encouraged, however, respect for other people and their opinions is the rule---play nice.
3) No profanity, allusions, innuendos or just plain nastiness will be tolerated. Decency WILL prevail.

This is MY house and YOU are a guest here and differences of opinion will be tolerated as long as you conduct yourself accordingly. If "the exercise of civility is beyond your ability" or you were never taught by your parents, feel free to take your toys and go home and vent your pent-up anger elsewhere.

Total Pageviews